Monday, July 14, 2008

Kimbap - Korean sushi roll

We're having a potluck at work today. So I've decided to make Kimbap. I went to Lotte on Friday to pick up all my ingredients: carrots, spinach, cucumber, and fish cake. The rest of the ingredients I already have: pickle radish, seaweed, sesame oil, sesame seed, imitation crab meat, eggs, rice and salt.

On Sunday I started to cut and prepare all of the stuff:

  • Carrots - peel and julienned. Lightly stir fried w/ a sprinkle of salt.
  • Spinach - rinse it and parboil it in boiled water. Drain it and add a sprinkle salt and a dash of sesame oil.
  • Cucumbers - julienned and add a sprinkle of salt.
  • Fish cake - lightly pan fried with a little of oil and julienned.
  • Pickle radish - julienned
  • Imitation crab meat - separate it in smaller portion.
Sunday night I was thinking to myself, heck let's make the egg and rice too so all I have to do on Monday morning is wrap them all up. NOTE: rice and egg SHOULD be the easiest thing to do but I manage to screw it up.
  • Eggs - beat in bowl w/ sprinkles of salt. Fry the egg in a pan and make the egg stick by rolling it. Mine ended up sticking to to pan. But it's ok since you can't really tell when it's wrapped.
  • Rice - washed and put it in rice cooker. Let the rice cool and add salt, sesame oil and seeds. I woke up this morning, I was like "SH*T, I don't think I press the cook button." When I went to check the rice, it looks cooked but it's VERY MUSHY. I think after hours of keep warm the rice cooked but nasty. I couldn't use that batch so I have to quickly make new rice.
To make the roll:
  1. Spread thin layer of rice over seaweed paper.
  2. Add all the julienned ingredients.
  3. Grab one side of the seaweed paper and begin to fold down and roll together tightly.
  4. Dab your cutting knife w/ water then cut the roll so the rice won't stick to your knife.
This is how mine turns out. Sorry the pic is not very clear as it's taken with my cell.


I also made the Chicken wrapped in Pandan and Red bean (dessert) soup this weekend. I'll have to post those later.


1 comments:

Jane said...

I made kimbob last week also!!!! YAY!!! but i gotta tell you, your kimbob looks prettier than mine:p